CGCOA Annual Awards
*Pictured above: Longtime CGCOA supporter Ted Horton, CGCS (L), presents CGCOA Member Steve Plummer, CGCS, President of Championship Golf Services, Inc. (R), with the prestigious 2015 Ted Horton Distinguished Service Award.
Below are members who have received our CGCOA Awards for their demonstrations of excellence and service to the golf industry in the following categories:
Course of the Year
The Course of the Year Award honors a member of CGCOA demonstrating excellence in five areas:
• Exceptional quality of the course
• Exemplary water stewardship practices
• Exceptional quality of ownership and management
• Outstanding contribution to the community
• Significant contributions to the game
Community Envrironmental Award
The Community Environmental Award is presented to a CGCOA facility or management company that demonstrates excellence in the area of Environmental Stewardship.
Award criteria includes:
• Implements practices that reduce use of coveted resources such as water or electricity.
• Has an efficient and convenient recycling program in place for managing waste on course and in the clubhouse (includes bar, restaurant and common areas).
• Encourages on-site natural habitats for birds and other small animals. (i.e. Member of Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program)
• Increases citizen awareness on how golf courses are “friends of the environment” and how golfers can support stewardship efforts. (i.e. course nature tours, recycling waste, educational programs)
For the Good of the Game
The For the Good of the Game Award is presented to an individual/s who has worked tirelessly as an advocate for a program, initiative or cause that will help shape the future of golf in a positive way.
Award criteria includes:
• Individual has volunteered time for a worthy golf-related cause, and always in a highly professional manner.
• Has developed literature or program material that helps communicate the mission, purpose and/or cause in an effective and concise manner.
• Has reached out to others encouraging them to support the cause because it is good and/or imperative to the future of the game.
• This award is considered an “open” award and can be presented to CGCOA members and/or non-members.
CGCOA Ted Horton Distinguished Service Award
The CGCOA Ted Horton Distinguished Service Award is designed to recognize an individual who has made exemplary contributions to the association and its members. This award is created in the name of Ted Horton, who provided stellar service to the CGCOA for many years, and remains involved today.
Contributions to the association include (but not limited to) the following:
• Overall service to the CGCOA
• Serving on the Board of Directors
• Active committee participation
• Hosting and/or assisting in the planning of events
• Promoter of CGCOA programs and initiatives
• Sponsorship participation and/or encouraging others to lend support
CGCOA Employee Excellence Award
The CGCOA Employee Excellence Award is designed to recognize an individual who has reflected positively on the golf course operation and the game of golf through the demonstration of exceptional customer service skills, leadership
and teamwork. This award is intended to reinforce the importance of creating an exceptional experience for all customers who enter CGCOA member properties.
Criteria used to evaluate nominees include, but are not limited to:
• Content and quantity of positive reviews by customers, supervisors and coworkers
• Programs or work processes created by or improved upon by nominee that enhance customer experience or improve operations
• Number of people positively affected by nominee’s efforts
• Tenure at golf course property
2016 CGCOA Awards (Awarded at Summitpointe Golf Club, Milpitas)
Course of the Year – Presidio Golf Club, San Francisco, CA
Community Environmental - Cinnabar Hills Golf Club, San Jose, CA
For the Good of the Game – Tom Addis III, CEO/Executive Director of the Southern California Section of the Professional Golfers' Association (SCPGA)
Ted Horton Distinguished Service – Dawn Prebula, Senior Vice President for VGM Club, Resorts & Gaming
2015 CGCOA Awards (Awarded at Black Gold Golf Club, Yorba Linda)
Course of the Year – Poppy Hills, Pebble Beach, CA
Community Environmental (North) - Yocha Dehe Golf Club, Brooks, CA
Community Environmental (South) - Olivas Links Golf Course, Ventura, CA
For the Good of the Game – Mike Huck, Irrigation and Turfgrass Services
Ted Horton Distinguished Service – Steve Plummer, Championship Golf Services
2014 CGCOA Awards (Awarded at Chardonnay Golf Club, Napa)
Course of the Year – Indian Wells Golf Resort, Indian Wells, CA
Community Environmental – Dairy Creek Golf Course, San Luis Obispo, CA
For the Good of the Game – Craig Kessler, Southern California Golf Association
Ted Horton Distinguished Service – Scott Hoyt, Pasatiempo Golf Club, Santa Cruz, CA
2013 CGCOA Awards (Awarded at Indian Canyons Golf Resort, Palm Springs)
Course of the Year – Haggin Oaks Golf Complex, Sacramento, CA
Community Environmental – Little River Inn, Little River, CA
For the Good of the Game –Emmy Moore-Minister, Doctors Orders: Play Golf
Ted Horton Distinguished Service (Inaugural) – Ted Horton, Ted Horton Consulting